Request for original mortgage note and additional information

From [edit] John Doe
Address 1
Address 2
City, WY 12345
To [edit] (Name of Bank)
Subject [edit] Request for original mortgage note and additional information
Message [edit] To whom it may concern:  This is a qualified written request under Section 6 of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA).

I own the property at the address listed above, and your organization services my mortgage.

Within sixty days, I would like to know the name, address, and phone number of the bank or investor that owns my mortgage.

Furthermore, in light of the recent allegations of foreclosure fraud, I demand to inspect the original mortgage note proving ownership over my home loan. If you fail to allow me to inspect my mortgage note proving that you have a right to collect my mortgage payments, I will be forced to consider all options available to me to ensure that my family and my home are protected.

I ask that I receive my response in writing. I understand that under Section 6 of RESPA you are legally required to acknowledge my request within twenty business days and must try to resolve the issue within sixty days.

Finally, and most importantly, you are NOT to interpret this request as a dispute regarding my account.  Should you place my account in a disputed status at this point, and report that dispute to any Credit Reporting Agencies, I will consider that a Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and a copy of this letter will be submitted as evidence.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

General Advice
  • Help

    This letter has recently been modified. Some unnecessary language has been removed, and a provision was inserted to protect homeowners from a credit downgrade. Some servicers when they receive a request such as this, have considered the loan account in dispute and have reported that as to the reporting agencies, which can result in a lowering of your credit score. It places the servicer on notice that you are not doing that (placing the account in dispute), and provide you with additional evidence for a violation of the FCRA in case they do.